Belmont Fast Facts
The Point, Garibaldi
Development began around a colonial-era fort and headed north when the railroad moved across Gaston County in the 1870s.
City of Diversified Textiles
Home of John Davidson McLean, listed on historic properties list; marker of site of log cabin home of Dicky Hanks, uncle of Abraham Lincoln's mother; Belmont Abbey Church, listed on the National Register; one of the few basilicas in the U.S.
- R.L. Stowe, textile pioneer and founder of Stowe Mills Inc., which operated in Belmont 108 years until 2009
- Humpy Wheeler, former general manager of Lowe's Motor Speedway
- Koren Robinson, former NFL player with the Seatlle Seahawks, Minnesota Vikings and Green Bay Packers
- Anthony Hamilton, R&B, soul, and neo-soul singer-songwriter and record producer
- Doris Satterfield (1926–1993), born in Belmont, three-time All-Star outfielder and member of two All-American Girls Professional Baseball League champion teams
- Fortune Feimster, raised in Belmont, staff writer and regular cast member of Chelsea Lately and After Lately·
Other claims to fame:
Belmont Abbey College, founded by a group of Benedictine monks in 1876; Sisters of Mercy, which runs Holy Angels, a home for physically and mentally challenged children and adults, and formerly ran Sacred Heart College.
2010 Census, 10,076
47.5 cents per $100 valuation
City Hall, 115 N. Main St.
- 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
View Larger Map
CLICK HERE for location of City Hall
Frequently called numbers:
- Mayor Charlie Martin
- Martha Stowe
- Ron Foulk
- Richard Turner
- Ryan Schrift
- Doug Gadd
City Council Meeting:
- First Monday of each month at 7 p.m., except when re-scheduled on holidays.
- Trash pickup Monday through Thursday by Waste Pro
- Recycling is curbside pick up.
- Pay water and sewer bills at City Hall, 115 N. Main St., during normal business hours or mail to P.O. Box 431, Belmont. NC 28012
208 Glenway St.
Belmont Branch Library:
125 Central Ave., Belmont